If you ever watch makeover shows (my own secret addiction!) you know that hair and make up are as important to looking great as the clothes you are wearing. So it makes sense that designers collaborate with hair and makeup artists to achieve a vision. This week I was invited by Sebastian Professional to get the inside scoop at Alice + Olivia’s fashion week presentation.
Designer Stacey Bendet is known for her super fun super chic collections adored by “it girls” everywhere. This season she was working a Lolita-inspired look that was described as possessing a “rebellious streak of sweet and sexy.”
To go along with her vision, Sebastian Professional lead stylist Anthony Cole created a swept-back, romantic with an edge hair look spotlighting loosely constructed chignons. We’ve all seen this sort of look in magazines, but how do you achieve it yourself? Here’s how to do it directly from Anthony!
Note stylist secret: use the side of the hairspray to smooth down hair!
1. On damp hair, apply a palmful of Sebastian Professional Whipped Crème throughout. Then, layer in a palmful of Mousse Forte. This combination will give the hair long-lasting, defrizzed body.
2. Blow-dry smooth using a large round brush. Once dry, create a middle part and pull into a ponytail at the occipital bone.
3. Twist the ponytail around the base and pin to secure. Spray with Sebastian Professional Shaper hairspray for shape and hold.
4. Be sure to keep the hair loose in the front so the hairline does not show. Then, pull pieces from under each side loose to frame the face.
5. Detail pieces of the chignon with Sebastian Professional Craft Clay for matte hold.
6. Once in shape, lightly spray Sebastian Professional Trilliant over the finished look for a touch of shimmer and shine.
In addition to this look there was one girl with short hair that the stylist had styled in a pixie punk sort of way with a lot of texture. As someone with stick straight hair I am always wondering how I can get my hair more piecey. The stylist told me the trick was to work a product (she used the Mousse Forte) in your hands and work through dry hair almost making little dreads to give it that edgy textured look. She followed it up with the Shaper Zero Gravity hairspray to keep it in place. I have to tell you I am so going to try this myself and will let you know the results.
Finally I thought it would be fun to show you the Sebastian Professional team getting DJ Mia Moretti ready for the evening! You know how you’ve always been told you need to rat your hair in order to get the height? I had no idea how extreme it could be! Overall I think the Sebastian Professional team along with Stila Cosmetics, who did the makeup, did an amazing job creating the looks for the Fall2012 Alice + Olivia presentation.